The Coeur d'Alene Resort
115 S. 2nd
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Check back here regularly as the agenda may be updated prior to the meeting. Also see in PDF format.
Workshop Objectives & Desired Outcomes
- Bring together regional white sturgeon managers and experts to share information and ideas, identify priorities, and support efforts to restore and conserve white sturgeon populations.
- Learn with and from each other and have fun.
|November 15, 2017 – 1:30 to 5:30 pm
Welcome, Introductions & Workshop Overview
- Lynn Palensky (NPCC) and Alison Squier (Ziji Creative Resources)
Columbia Basin & Beyond: White Sturgeon Programs Ignited
Failure is Always (Not?) an Option: Early Life Survival & Recruitment Failure
- Interactive session: What are the causes of recruitment failure? How can we better answer that question? What can we do to address recruitment failure?
||Adjourn Day 1
Optional Get Together for Dinner and Drinks
- Optional get together for dinner and drinks at Fire Artisan Pizza. They have wood fired pizza, great salads, signature chocolate chip cookie dessert, wine and local microbrews. We’ve reserved some large group tables so that folks can sit together.
|November 16 – 8 am to 3:30 pm
Welcome & Day 2 Workshop Overview
- Lynn Palensky & Alison Squier
Taking Stock 1: Stock Assessments, Survival Estimates, and Maturation Rates in Hatchery-
Reared White Sturgeon
Taking Stock 2: Panel Discussion (Lower Columbia, Mid-Columbia, Snake, Upper
Columbia, and Kootenai presenters)
Conservation Aquaculture 1
Conservation Aquaculture 2: Fish Bowl Discussion
- What are the biggest challenges and how are those being addressed?
- How are stocking targets being set by different programs? What are the implications of different approaches 6 or 8 generations down the road?
- How are risks being identified and addressed (e.g., spontaneous autopolyploidy, genetic risks, overrepresented families)? Are risks being addressed?
- Are programs being adaptively managed? How? What challenges and opportunities exist?
- What information sharing is occurring? How? What are the challenges and opportunities?
- Where are we going with our conservation aquaculture and supplementation programs in the Columbia Basin?
Emerging Issues and Next Steps
- Group session
- What Are the Most Pressing Emerging Issues? Why?
- Future Basin-wide Sturgeon Workshops?
- White Sturgeon & the Council’s Fish & Wildlife Program – Lynn Palensky (NPCC)
Closing and Adjourn
- BCMFLNRO: British Columbia Ministry of Forest, Land and Natural Resource Operations
- BCMOE: British Columbia Ministry of Environment
- CDFW: California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- CRITFC: Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission
- FRSCS: Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society
- IDFG: Idaho Department of Fish and Game
- KTOI: Kootenai Tribe of Idaho
- NPCC: Northwest Power and Conservation Council
- ODFW: Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
- PUD: Public Utility District
- UC Davis: University of California Davis
- USFWS: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- USGS: U.S. Geological Survey
- WDFW: Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
- YN: Yakima Nation