January 19, 2017 See meeting notes
Council Central Office 851 SW 6th Ave, Suite 1100
9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
GoToMeeting or conference call: 800-356-8278, code 395312
- Welcome and Introductions
- Important developments: changes to Council representation, chair of ocean forum, staff changes, charter and report
- Recap of last meeting, review and approve draft notes from last meeting
- Update on the Council’s draft research plan
- Theme for this meeting: Coupling between estuary and early ocean survival of salmonids – significance, mechanisms and opportunities
* Researcher presentations:
- Hatchery rearing and early ocean performance (Brian Beckman)
- The CR Estuary: exit pipe or critical growing habitat? (Laurie Weitkamp)
* Manager feedback regarding hatcheries, hydrosystem, habitat:
- What are the drivers that influence fish condition, size, numbers, and timing?
- What are opportunities for utilizing this information about early survival?
- What are the institutional barriers to change that may prevent the information from being fully utilized?
* Additional discussion:
- What changes can we consider to take advantage of this information?
- What would make this information more useful?
- What other information do you need?
- What scientific, management or political barriers have to be addressed to better utilize this information?
6) Wrap up: summary, future meetings